The 2010-2011 MCA Scholastic season is underway, and one of the featured competitions is the Rally section qualification to the 2011 Sweet 16, where 16 of the top Maryland scholastic players compete at the UMBC Open in their own section where the winner receives a UMBC Chess scholarship.
The 2011 Maryland Sweet 16 will be held Feb 26-27 at UMBC. All participants in the 2011 Sweet 16 are required to play all 4 rounds over the weekend.
The final standings after 5 events are at the end of this article (click on Read more).
After the final event this evening (MCA Liberty Christian Scholastic), here is the tentative list of the 2011 Maryland Sweet 16 qualifiers [Tanner McNamara and Alex Nguyen have already declined or are not able to participate]:
Top 6 (USCF rating): Charles Yang, Ramanuja Sreenivasan, Jeffrey Chang, Dobrinya Konoplev, Jonathan Chen, Ronald Best
Next 10 (Rally Points): Saketh Papaihgari, Madeline Kim, Bendeguz Offertaler, Jason Zou, Jerry Wu, Jordan Best, Alex Li, Zachary Jablow, Devon Campbell, David Snyder
Alternates (next 3): Jake Koenig, Cyrus Cordero, Shane Mazuk
There were a total of 5 scheduled MCA Scholastic tournaments that served as qualifiers for the Sweet 16. All five of these have already been held (Oct 2 at Windy ill MS (Calvert County); Nov 13 at NorthEast HS (Cecil County); Dec 18 at Boonsboro MS (Washington County); Feb 12 at Chestertown MS - now Kent County MS (Kent County)); Feb 19 at Liberty Christian (Baltimore County). One had to be cancelled (Mary of Nazareth (Montgomery County)).
By the decision of the Scholastic Directors: because the Mary of Nazareth event had to be cancelled for this chess season, players in the Rally section who had preregistered for that tournament will automatically qualify for Top 6 by rating. However, they will receive no Rally points for the event. Jonathan Chen qualified for the Top 6 of the Sweet 16 in this fashion.
Qualifying rules for the 2011 Sweet 16: Essentially unchanged from 2009 and 2010.
1. All qualifiers have to had played in at least one MCA Rally tournament in Fall 2010-Winter 2010/2011. The exception for this season are those Rally players that had preregistered for the MCA Mary of Nazareth Scholastic tournamnet (Dec 4) will be eligible to qualify for the Top 6 by rating.
2. Top 6 qualifiers by USCF rating (March 2011 rating supplement) plus the next 10 highest Rally point players will comprise the 16 qualifiers. Alternates will be chosen by next highest Rally point totals. March 2011 rating supplement will be used for Ratings qualifier, as this reflects the games played through Fri Feb 4, 2011.
3. All Sweet 16 players are required to play all 4 rounds during Feb 26-27, 2011, unless there is a medical emergency or other extenuating circumstance. Failure to do so will result in barring in participating in future Sweet 16 tournaments. Failure to show affects place as well as tiebreaks for the other players. Therefore, it is much preferable to decline participating if a commitment to all 4 rounds cannot be made, so the MCA can select and notify an alternate in time.
4. The Sweet 16 tournament is a separate section of the UMBC Open with the same time controls and starting times for each round. The tournament is 4 rounds taking place during Rounds 1, 2, 4, and 5. [Round 3 - Sat evening is skipped for this section].
5. Formula for each Rally tournament - each player receives a number of Rally points = (# players) / place in tourney. If there are ties, then all players with same score receive the average of the corresponding places. Players from out of state count for determining Rally points, but do not count in the Rally Point standings.
6. Special for this year (Mary of Nazareth preregistrants): Tanner McNamara (2007) and Jonathan Chen (1762) tentatively (based on March 2011 USCF ratings) have made the qualifier list based on Top 6 by rating. Jerry Wu (1605) will serve as 1st alternate based on rating. [Note: Tanner McNamara has declined to participate this year and Jerry Wu has qualified by Rally Points].
Top 6 by USCF rating (per March 2011 USCF ratings): *** Includes MCA Mary of Nazareth Rally preregistrants entrants
|Place||Name||USCF Rating (03/11)|
Final Rally Standings after MCA Liberty Christian (2/19/2011)
|Place||Name||USCF Rating (03/11)||Total Rally Points||Number of Tournaments|